Thursday, October 4, 2012

Random Blog Of Randomness!!!!!

So, today we are talking about LGBTQ issues in class. And this topic has always interested me. Not for the fact that I'm curious about myself, but because people in general interest me. The way people think or act and why they do it in that manner. So when talking about the LGBTQ community I'm very curious on how they act. Not in a mean manner, but like what is the difference between a transgender and transexual person, why a man in drag refers to himself as a she when dressed up, and just the terminology in general.



Now I know a few people in the LGBTQ community, specifically my best friend. Now she came out in September 2011 and I questioned her on it, not like "are you sure you're gay?" but more like the "so how did you know?" just because I was curious on how she knew because she dated a man for 2 years prior to coming out. Then she told me she was happy and that's all that mattered to me. So what we are talking about in class has kept me very interested and I enjoy talking about it.

2 comments:

  1. Not sure if this was posted before or after the LGBTQ discussion class. Either way, I figured I'd try to help with some confusion. I think it's funny how "taboo" LGBTQ things seem to be to heterosexual people. I was talking to a friend the other day about the often heard "How did you know?" question that is asked of people of variant orientations or gender identities. Perhaps this will help you understand your friend's orientation a little better. How did you know you were straight? My guess (of course I could be wrong) that your answer is something along the lines of "I just knew." Well, the same goes for most LGBTQ identified individuals. The only difference it is a bit more difficult to come to that conclusion when your inherent orientation or gender identity is frowned upon, and not seen as the norm in society. At least, that's the way I see it; that to some extent we have an inner understanding of our orientation and gender that is either embraced or denied. ...Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike it makes me happy to read your post! A lot of cisgendered men that I come across tend to be freaked out by LGBTQ folks. So it's refreshing to see this and to know your excited to learn about it. :) I'm going to have to agree with Jen as well. I've gotten the same questions you asked your friend, and it's true. We all just know! :)

    ReplyDelete