Sunday, September 9, 2012

The Second Blog of The Semester!!!!

Pennies for your thought

Fryes piece on oppression, cleverly titled "Oppression", starts out with a bang. She states that "oppressing is oppression to those who oppress as well as to those the oppress", which leads me to think that people who oppress, oppress everyone regardless of gender, race, or sexuality. She makes this argument clear by stating that men are told that they need to be tough and nothing else, so crying is not something that is acceptable. Which to me is very accurate. When I was younger I lived with my mother and visited my father on the weekend. Now my mother was very open with her emotions and told me to do the same thing, however my father is a very closed off man so I had no true direction on what to do. So the idea of oppression is in everyday life no matter what your age may be. However, Frye states that the word oppression is being over used and its meaning has become meaningless. Fryes break down of the word oppress is immaculate. From just taking the "op" from "oppress" and just having the word press, and state its definition was very well written. The fact that she made one word turn into something horrible was striking. Frye touches upon some great points in her article, another being that a young woman who is sexually active is looked down upon, as well as a young girl who is not sexually active. As a whole the reading opened my eyes, even if it was just a little, because I tend to not think of the facts that were stated and just live life not worrying about them.

This song does not necessarily relate to the article, however it does degrade women throughout the entire song. And I used the actual video because the video was never released to the public, for obvious reasons.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mike,
    Youve got some great posts here. I think the video is in fact appropriate... the links just may not be as visible. Keep working it out :)
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mike,
      I really like the way you understood Frye paper, so I will take some ideas from you.

      Delete
  2. It's nice that you share your personal experience with being able to express your emotions with your mom and not so much with your dad. I also like how you broke down oppression, like Frye did in the article.

    ReplyDelete